I had the opportunity to try out casting at a local foundry. I took two identical interlocking forms which I had developed a few years ago and decided I would cast them in aluminum. I used a process called investment casting, where I first made the forms out of a low density foam. Then I repeatedly dipped the forms in a ceramic slurry in order to build up a strong shell. Next, I baked the foam out of the inside of the shell, leaving behind a ceramic mold. To finish up, I buried the mold in sand and poured in molten aluminum from a crucible. I did two pours on each form in order to get the organic break line visible in the images. After sandblasting the surface, I polished out the organic flowing layer in order to get the contrast you see in the final.